Monday, March 14, 2011

365 Days Take Two! -- Day Ten

*So... I know this picture isn't anything like what I typically post.  It's not supposed to be.  This is more along the lines of a public service announcement.  This morning I got the news that no one wants to hear... that news, in reference to the biopsy I'd had done last week on the mole below -- 

"It's Malignant Melanoma."

Cancer.



Now... I'm okay.  We'll start by saying that now.  I went in this afternoon and found out that I am lucky.  Incredibly lucky.  I was diagnosed with Stage I Malignant Melanoma.  This Stage has a very high cure rate.  After that... not so much.  I found this mole last Sunday on my back.  A mole I'd never seen before, or at least never seen looking like it looks in the photo above.  I called Monday morning and it was biopsied Tuesday.  A week later and I now have a 6 inch incision from the wide excisional surgery they performed this afternoon to make sure they got it all.

I'm incredibly thankful that I caught this so early and this scar is one I'll wear with dignity and pride.

Everyone please... I cannot stress this enough... please be aware of your body and your moles.


2 comments:

Pitterle Postings said...

Wow. This was a very informative post. Thank you for sharing!!

Unknown said...

Rachel,

You are so right in saying that we need to be aware of our moles and keep an eye on things. Steve and I have both had moles removed (one of his was cancer) and we got off as easily as we did because they were caught early.

So glad yours has a good prognosis and I loved your line that you will wear your scar with pride.

Blessings
Becky