Monday, May 6, 2013

365 Days of Memories Take Four! -- Day 125



*One Hundred Years from now it won't matter
What kind of car I drove,
What kind of house I lived in,
How much money I had in the bank,
Nor what my clothes looked like.
But,
The world may be a little better
because I was important in the life of a child.*

Forest Witcraft


Today marked the end of a long journey as I finally finished my student teaching and turned in all of my paperwork. On Saturday I will 'graduate' (though I'm not participating in the ceremony since this is my second degree) and I will officially have my teaching degree.

There is nothing more fulfilling in life then getting to watch dreams come true, and being a teacher gives me the opportuity to be a part of helping others discover their dreams every single day.  I have worked with children for 15 years beginning when I was 13 and started babysitting for my neighbors.  I have been a Lead Head Start teacher for 3 years now and before that I worked in a day care in infant, toddler and preschool classrooms.  I've worked with every age group from birth-5 and I love it!

Nothing, absolutely nothing compares to working with children who come from at risk and low income populations.  Getting to be a constant in their lives, to show them that people do care about them, that education is a good thing and that they are LOVED beyond measure makes all of the hard stuff completely worth it.  

And it's because of this experience that I look forward to the next chapter of my life and can't wait to get back to working with my kiddos!

2 comments:

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Congrats on your graduation this Saturday!! How exciting!! I have no doubt that you will be an absolutely amazing teacher my friend.

Rachel said...

Thank you :) I sure hope so! I know I've enjoyed it the past few years, I hope my new experiences can only make me a better teacher!